Addressing PTSD Emotional Avoidance and Anxiety Sensitivity: Tips for Therapists
Associate Vice-Chair of Clinical Research, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine
Director, Emory Healthcare Veterans Program
Director, Emory Trauma and Anxiety Recovery Program
Paul A. Janssen Chair in Neuropsychopharmacology
- PTSD is a disorder of avoidance.
- Avoidance reduces anxiety in the short term, but in the long term, it prevents learning.
- Be creative, persistent, compassionate, and kind.
- Maintain the focus on PTSD.
- Teach them you can be anxious and do it anyway.