- The interpersonal effectiveness module teaches skills for managing relationships and strategies for communication.
- Although objective, relationship and self-respect are all important, one of the three will be prioritized in any interaction.
- DEAR MAN is the acronym for skills to use when obtaining one’s objective is most important.
- GIVE skills are used when the relationship is most important.
- FAST skills are used for maintaining self-respect.
The interpersonal effectiveness module is all about communication and relationships. When in this module, it is important to discuss with group members what gets in the way of effective communication and relationships. Sometimes, it’s a lack of skill. Sometimes, the environment is too powerful. And sometimes, it’s the emotions, worries, assumptions and myths that each member brings to the table.
DBT teaches participants how to most effectively reach their objectives in relationships by using their communication skills. The skills that are taught are helpful in being able to say no or ask for things.